Translate

Wednesday 22 August 2012

My Work Space and New Work.






I am often asked if I have a studio and I wish I could say yes, as it would be a dream to be able to have somewhere big enough to hang all my large textile pieces.
When I'm working it frequently gets cluttered and I rarely have time to stop and sort out my creative mess.
However, last week I purchased an old apothecary chest which has 16 drawers for me to hide all manner of my threads and fabrics in.
I doubt it will stay tidy for long!



I have just about finished my large piece of work " Homage a Mattise", this as the title suggests is developed from a painting of a landscape I did near Nice, I have also incorporated the rhythms I feel when I have studied Matisse's paintings.
Matisse lived in Nice, he too was fascinated by fabrics, which he collected on his many travels, their patterns, colours and designs influenced his work.
I'm looking forward to visiting the Matisse Museum again on holiday soon, this will give me the opportunity to inspire me further in my work.
The Museum is situated in a beautiful villa surrounded by an olive grove, it contains not only his art works but his many collections of furnishings and fabrics.
Bye for now

Michala




 

7 comments:

liniecat said...

heavens if you achieve such wonderful work in so small an area...........I should be able to do wayyyyyy more than I do lol
Guess this is where tenacity and natural talent come into play....youve got loads and I lack both!!
Great drawers!!

Lins Artyblobs said...

Your work looks amazing .....and I have a thing for drawers.

Twiglet said...

Wow - Michala I don't know how you can create such wonderful large pieces in your little workspace. Your chest of drawers is fab - I could just do with something like it. x Jo

Anonymous said...

I love seeing people's work spaces :) And the new work is looking fabulous, I'm very impressed that you manage to get it through the machine!

Anonymous said...

Is this large piece for another exhibition? I'm so sad that I wasn't able to make it to your previous one and hoping that there will be more as I would love to see your large works in real life.

Great chest of drawers.

MulticoloredPieces said...

I guess you're an example of "where there's a will, there's a way". Loved your drawings in the previous post. It's easy to see that they're the base for your textile work, however, when you translate them into fabric and thread, you take the work up several notches. In my opinion, you add depth. Looking forward to seeing that big piece.
best, nadia

Connys Cottage said...

Wooooow what a wonderful work!!!
Thats amazing.

hugs Conny