Translate

Wednesday 28 October 2009

Time To Stitch




It's half term week so I have been busy trying to finish jobs in the house and also fitting in more time to sew.
I have been making my flower brooches in the evening for a Christmas sale in aid of cancer research.

I also decided I wanted to try working a landscape on a larger scale, inspired by the textiles I saw at The Knitting & Stitching Show.
This size is enormous for me, especially if you compare it to my landscape brooches.
It is quite liberating to work to this scale and I kept standing on a chair to look down at it !
This is at the stage before I have added any embroidery, I have embellished the wool and silk fibers down with my embellisher machine.
My inspiration is from the sketch I made in France and I want to portray the atmosphere of the colourful Mediterranean landscape.
The colours are so vivid and intense in the strong sunlight.
I hope to bring it more alive once I start adding my stitches although I think this may take some time!






19 comments:

AeFondKis said...

Kayla go big! It will look wonderful ans so sweet doing your felt flowers for Cancer research...hope you sell loads.
Linda x

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Both pieces are so wonderful :o)

Ingrid said...

This is so beautiful,love the colours.Cant wait to se it stitched!

Sharne Gregory said...

It looks good, I cant wait to see it stitched.

Jackie said...

Absolutely gorgeous both types of work. I can't wait to see the stitching on the tree piece.
What a shame if you lost the tree in the post..but it might turn up still.
I have recently had a parcel I thought might be lost, because I put the wrong postage on it, arrived at teh same time as the one I sent to replace it.
You never know.

Jennifer DeDonato said...

Your heart is so wonderful...love the colors.

Grammatically Delicious Designs said...

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving this, colours are gorgeous!

Cathy Cullis said...

I enjoy the challenge of working on a bigger scale, and I know you will make this a special piece. It's good to challenge yourself to think about scale and how this effects your work, I feel. Glad you found the knitting and stitching show inspiring, wish I could have visited too. Enjoy the rest of half-term x

gwendoliner46 said...

I am really looking forward to seeing this large landscape finished. Some things work better in a larger format. I'm sure it will be fabulous.

Gwen

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Kayla, Your landscape is truly beautiful. I am sure it will be a master piece when you add all your lovely stitching to it. Your felted flowers are wonderful too. Hopefully you will sell heaps for this good cause.

It is very sad that your art has gotton lost in the mail. Disgusting. I also sent a gift to Australia in June and it still has not arrived yet. Extremely sad. I have NO clue what is causing all these problems. I had a good talk with my local post office and told them all dismayed I was about it all. I am sure it did not help. Hugs Judy

Heloise said...

The landscape is beautiful, love the arrangement of the brooches into a heart.

Annabel said...

Hi Michala, I love the larger scale...brilliant! It will make an amazing embroidery; I think large is the way to go. I also like the drawing itself and hope you will treat that as an art work too in it's own right. Its very stylised and has you written all over it. x

threadstar said...

*love*

A time to dance said...

its beautiful...I love the willowy tree and the colours and your heart of flowers...fab....

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

I do that (not the beautiful embroidery, but standing on a chair to look down on bigger pieces of artwork! Alternativel, view the piece the 'wrong way' through binoculars! Lovely work as always. Lesley

Alexandra said...

It looks gorgeous can't wait to see more xx

Acornmoon said...

A very brave and bold step to go so big, it seems to be working very well. I am sure it will be another triumph!

Jasmine said...

I just discovered your blog. Its beautiful. How do you manage to work so small?